- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb. trimmed, cored, and roughly chopped 1 red onion, minced
- 3 heaping tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 heaping tablespoons white miso
- 1 heaping tablespoon red miso
- A few tablespoons cubed soft tofu (optional)
- Sprinkling of minced fresh chives (optional)
Melt the butter with the olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat, add the fennel, red onion, and ginger; sauté until soft, about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, bring the stock to a boil in a small soup pot over high heat. Reduce heat to simmer gently, add the onion mixture, and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Strain and discard all solids, add the miso, and turn off heat. Stir until miso is fully dissolved. Add the tofu and chives, if desired.