This recipe appears in:April Is National Grilled Cheese Month Results and Photos from the NorCal Regional Grilled Cheese Invitational The NorCal Regional Grilled Cheese Invitational Coming Next Weekend
The Perfect Grilled Cheese Sandwich
The trick is to use the best cheese you can find, such as aged Gouda or real English cheddar.
For a Closed-Face Sandwich
1. Melt butter in a nonstick pan over low heat.
2. Butter one of two slices of bread, then add a slice of your favorite cheese. Assemble.
3. Put the sandwich in the bottom of the pan and cover the pan.
4. Cook over very low heat for about 15 minutes. Check every few minutes to make sure the heat isn't too high and causing the underside of the sandwich to burn.
5. When the underside of the sandwich is golden brown and the cheese is melting out the sides, turn over the sandwich and brown the other side over medium heat.
For an Open-Face Sandwich
1. Toast crusty bread slices on one side under the broiler.
2. Turn over the slice and put cheese slices on the untoasted side; slide the bread and cheese under the broiler.
3. Watch closely until the cheese melts, bubbles up, and lightly browns.
Photograph from iStockPhoto.com