Associate Editor (New York)
Serious Eats is seeking an Associate Editor to join its New York City-based team for 40 hours/week. The ideal candidate will be passionate and knowledgeable about food, have a good sense of humor, excel at writing and editing original content, and have the creativity and adaptability required to bring those traits together in a fast-paced digital-media environment. Bonus: We’ll be moving later this year from our small(ish) quarters in Little Italy/Chinatown to a beautiful, expansive new space in Industry City, Brooklyn.
- Writes copy and organizes content for landing pages and hubs
- Strategizes ways to resurface evergreen content for SEO and social media platforms, including writing posts (ingredient guides, meal plans, quick tips, etc.) on a weekly basis
- Assigns and edits some freelancer copy, including copyediting and providing feedback on overall structure, tone, flow, and voice
- Assists in administering contract and payment systems for freelance contributors
- Liaises between Visual Director and Managing Editor to coordinate and assist with in-house photo and video shoots
- As part of editorial team, reviews analytics to develop thoughtful input on site’s content development; participates in planning of annual calendar
- Assists Managing Editor in overseeing and executing special projects as needed to meet site content goals
- Minimum one year of experience (including internships) in digital-content writing, ideally in the food and drink space
- Excellent writing and copyediting skills, with examples of online work
- Understanding of digital media and social media, and awareness of online content in the food space
- High degree of flexibility, positivity, and collaborative and organizational skill; ability to thrive in a fast-changing environment and switch quickly between different tasks
- BA in English, liberal arts, or related field preferred
- Culinary-school background, experience in a professional kitchen, or passion for cooking and eating strongly preferred
To apply, please send a cover email and your resume to email@example.com.
Videographer (New York)
Serious Eats is seeking a Videographer/Editor to join its New York City-based team and work directly with the Visual Director to develop engaging video and multimedia content for web and social channels. We’re looking for a strong visual storyteller with experience in all aspects of video production and post-production, who can work both independently and collaboratively with our team.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about working with our talent to develop various narratives, have a great eye for making things look delicious, excel at organizing and executing content, and have the creativity and resourcefulness required to bring those traits together in a fast-paced digital-media environment.
Bonus: We’ll be moving later this year from our small(ish) quarters in Little Italy/Chinatown to a beautiful, expansive new space in Industry City, Brooklyn with a studio test kitchen (with gigantic windows!) If you love food and want to spend your days creating mouth-watering videos (and yes, you WILL get to eat the food) we want to hear from you!
- Work with the Visual Director to develop a video production workflow and schedule from concept through to execution and publication
- Coordinate with Visual Director, Culinary Directors, Managing Editor, and Social Media Manager to plan, produce, shoot, and edit recipe/technique/editorial videos for all web and social platforms, including creating shot lists and scripts
- Ensure that all videos are edited to the most effective message and lengths of time and that all text that appears in final product is correct
- Manage video library and video hosting, including Brightcove
- Responsible for distributing the completed videos to the appropriate parties in a timely manner
- Minimum 2 years of video production experience
- Formal education in videography/film making preferred
- Strong sense of self-motivation and the ability to work as part of a team and take direction
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Expertise editing video in Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, or other video editing software
- Experience with digital cameras and audio/lighting equipment
- Experience shooting food strongly preferred but not required
Please send your resume, cover letter, and a link to your portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org.