Whether it's served over warm ricotta, with thin slices of prosciutto, or as a topping for ajo blanco, this simple summer salad makes the most of fresh summer melon.
Why It Works
This recipe appears in:How to Dress Up Fresh Summer Melon
- Fresh thyme adds an herbal note that brings out the earthiness of the melon.
- A touch of floral liqueur highlights the fruit's natural sweetness and aroma.
- Salt and lemon juice round out the overall flavor.
- 2 cups diced cantaloupe (about 12 ounces; 340g)
- 2 cups diced honeydew melon (about 10 ounces; 285g)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) floral liqueur, such as chrysanthemum or elderflower liqueur (see note)
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) lemon juice or good-quality cider vinegar (see note)
Toss cantaloupe, honeydew, thyme, salt, liqueur, and lemon together in a medium bowl; cover and refrigerate 1 hour to allow flavors to meld, then toss again to serve. Pair with fresh ricotta as a salad, with thin slices of prosciutto as canapé, or with panna cotta as dessert.