Bright red cherries, crispy and juicy jicama, fresh basil, and buttery macadamia nuts make for an extremely easy, refreshing, and decidedly different salad for your spring table.
Why It WorksBright, fruity, fresh, and crisp.
- Juicy fleshy cherries and crisp jicama pair beautifully.
- Lime zest and juice add flavor and aroma.
- 1 1/4 pound red cherries (565g), halved and pitted
- 1 pound jicama (from 1 jicama root; about 450g); peeled and cut into batons
- 1 small handful torn fresh basil leaves
- 4 ounces macadamia nuts (110g), roughly crushed
- Zest of 1 lime plus fresh lime juice to taste (from 1 to 2 limes)
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Kosher salt
In a large salad or mixing bowl, combine cherries, jicama, basil, and macadamia nuts. Add lime zest and drizzle on just enough olive oil to lightly coat all ingredients. Toss well. Add lime juice to taste (should be bright and tart enough to contrast with the sweet cherries and rich olive oil), tossing well, and season with salt. Serve.