There's a reason that this Easy Pressure Cooker Green Chili With Chicken is one of my most popular pressure cooker recipes. The flavor-to-work ratio is simply off the charts. Here's the gist of it: Dump some ingredients into a pressure cooker. Turn it on and cook. Blend, season, and enjoy. No pre-searing meat, no charring vegetables, and barely any advance prep at all. Today, I'm bringing the technique to a classic pork-based chile verde, and it couldn't be simpler.
Why It Works15 minutes of work, incredibly flavorful eating.
- Adding all the ingredients to the pressure cooker, with no extra liquid, makes for an intensely flavored stew that cooks in its own juices.
- Fish sauce adds umami depth to the dish once it's cooked.
- 4 pounds (1.9kg) boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 3/4 pound tomatillos (about 4 tomatillos; 350g), quartered, husks discarded
- 2/3 pound Poblano peppers (about 2 peppers; 300g), roughly chopped, seeds and stems discarded (see note)
- 6 ounces Anaheim or Cubanelle peppers (about 2 peppers; 170g), roughly chopped, seeds and stems discarded (see note)
- 2 serrano or jalapeño chilies, roughly chopped, stems discarded (see note)
- 8 ounces white onion (about 1 medium; 225g), roughly chopped
- 6 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon (15g) whole cumin seed, toasted and ground
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves and fine stems (about 1/2 ounce; 15g), plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) Asian fish sauce
- Fresh corn tortillas and lime wedges, for serving
In a pressure cooker, combine pork, tomatillos, Poblano peppers, Anaheim peppers, serrano peppers, onion, garlic, cumin, and a big pinch of salt. Heat over high heat until gently sizzling, then seal pressure cooker, bring to high pressure, and cook for 30 minutes. Release pressure.
Using tongs, transfer pork pieces to a bowl and set aside. Add cilantro and fish sauce to remaining contents of pressure cooker. Blend with an immersion blender or in a countertop blender, then season to taste with salt. Return pork to sauce and stir gently to combine. Serve immediately with tortillas and lime wedges.