This flavor combination may not appeal to those who don't love the minty-bitter flavor of Fernet Branca, but for those who do, this riff on a classic Irish coffee is sure to blow their socks off. Here, fernet's strong medicinal kick is boosted with a wonderfully perky lemon whipped cream. The result is a potent brew with loud, bright flavors that will send a jolt through your brain and your digestive tract, far more effectively than either caffeine or fernet could ever do alone.
Why It WorksIt'll wake you up and get you ready to go-go.
- Swapping out the booze in a traditional Irish coffee opens up a world of flavor combinations.
- 6 ounces (175ml) hot black coffee
- 2 ounces (60ml) Fernet Branca
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) 2:1 simple syrup (see note)
- 1 recipe Lemon Chantilly
- Freshly grated zest of 1 lemon (optional)
Combine hot coffee, fernet, and simple syrup in a prewarmed mug. (You can prewarm it by pouring hot water into it, letting it stand for 1 minute, then draining.) Using a spoon, dollop chantilly on top of coffee and top with lemon zest, if using. Serve right away. (Note that you may have more whipped cream than the mug can accommodate; feel free to add more as you drink, or use some for the next round.)