This recipe appears in:How to Make Sweet Potato, Sage, and Fried Egg Tacos
With a large stash of really great tortillas in my fridge at all times, I wind up making a lot of tacos. My favorite in recent memory are these sweet potato tacos flavored with sage and topped with sliced radish, cilantro, crema, and a fried egg. Great for breakfast, but really good any time of day.
Why this recipe works:
- Fried sage and sweet potatoes are a naturally delicious flavor combination that works well in tacos.
- A fried egg provides a liquid yolk that combines with a dash of hot sauce and crema in lieu of a more traditional salsa.
Note: If you can't find Mexican crema, substitute with sour cream thinned out with milk or heavy cream until a light, pourable consistency is reached.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch dice (about 3/4 pound)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage leaves
- 4 warm soft corn tortillas (use 8 tortillas and double them if using store-bought machine-made tortillas)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablepoons Mexican-style crema (see note above)
- Hot sauce, to taste
- 1 large radish, thinly sliced
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large non-stick or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add sweet potato, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring and tossing frequently, until softened and lightly browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Add garlic and sage and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer mixture to a bowl, cover, and keep warm.
Wipe out skillet and add remaining tablespoon oil. Heat over medium-high heat until shimmering and swirl to coat. Add eggs, season with salt and pepper and fry until whites are just set but yolks are still runny, about 2 minutes.
Meanwhile, place tortillas on a warm serving dish and divide sweet potato mixture evenly between them. Top each with a fried egg. Drizzle with crema and hot sauce, garnish with radishes and cilantro, and serve immediately with lime wedges.