This recipe appears in:The Fastest, Freshest, Fluffiest Ice Cream Ever: 30-Minute Philadephia-Style Ice Cream
Philadelphia-style ice cream doesn't have eggs, which means you can make it start-to-finish in just 30 minutes. It'll be the freshest, fluffiest ice cream you'll ever taste, though it's best eaten the same day it's made, so don't make more than you can eat in a short period of time. This recipe is easily halved.
Why this recipe works:
- Without eggs, the flavors of cream, milk, and vanilla shine through loud and clear.
- A touch of Scotch adds big depth to vanilla extract.
Note: The optional milk powder below will make for a creamier (and creamier-tasting) ice cream that holds up slightly better in the freezer after a couple days. If you're eating your ice cream day-of, the textural difference is negligible. But if you want something that stores a little better for a few days, it's a stabilizer to consider. If you don't have Scotch, another whiskey or a dark rum works well.
- 2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 1 cup whole milk, chilled
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon not-peaty Scotch, such as Glenlivet 12 or Monkey Shoulder (see note above)
- 2 tablespoons non-fat powdered milk (optional, see note above)
In a large mixing bowl, whisk all ingredients together until sugar completely dissolves. Churn mixture according to manufacturer's instructions. Serve right away as soft serve or transfer to an airtight container and harden in freezer for 4 to 5 hours. (Freezing in several smaller containers will greatly reduce hardening time.)