Despite what the calendar says, Labor Day always feels like the end of summer: school starts up again, the air hints at sweater-and-scarf weather, and the return of the pumpkin spice latte is nigh. Even though there are always a few good weeks of summer produce left post-Labor Day weekend, I always feel the need to throw a last hurrah of sorts to celebrate summer's bounty—and to store up good memories as we head into the seemingly endless season of root vegetables, mealy supermarket tomatoes, and citrus galore.
Whether you'd gladly trade a day in the office for a day in the kitchen or would rather spend the afternoon at the beach, we've got a mix of indoor- and outdoor-friendly recipes to help you through the long weekend. Click through our slideshow to check out 18 fresh produce-heavy sides for your Labor Day party this September 1st!
On the Grill
- Balsamic Vegetable Skewers
- Halloumi and Vegetable Skewers
- Grilled Corn with Garlic and Ginger Soy-Butter
- Mexican Street Corn (Elotes)
- Grilled Pimientos de Padrón
- Eggplant Spirals With Greek Yogurt, Tomatoes, and Cucumber
- Simple Grilled Kefalotyri Cheese
- Stuffed Grilled Apricots With Goat Cheese, Pistachios, and Balsamic
- Grilled Trevisano or Radicchio With Gorgonzola, Olive Oil, and Saba