Long Weekend? Food Adventures for Your Day Off
Labor Day may signal the end of summer, but that's no reason to stay inside and sulk—how about sending off the season with a fantastic food adventure instead? Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Eat a fancy lunch, partake in killer happy hours, and more!
- Take a tour of Bay Ridge with Allison Robicelli, explore the Sri Lankan scene in Staten Island, and slurp noodles and dumplings galore in Flushing.
- Check our updated guides to the best bites near South Street Seaport, Metropolitan Museum of Art, and Times Square.
- Go on a sandwich spree, tackling the best in ridiculously big-ass, seafood, and giardiniera-topped offerings.
- Explore the South Side's essential eats.
- Toast to summer at any one of these 8 great dive bars, then soak up the booze with our favorite porky bar snacks.
- Scope out 7 dishes worth the trip to Outer Sunset, 10 great snacks in Japantown, and 10 cheap bites in Little Saigon.
- Tour the Ferry Building markets, inside and out.
- Eat all of the contenders for the city's best sourdough.
- Two words: taco crawl.
- 6-6-6: A half-dozen each of the best ceviches, spicy dishes, and egg breakfasts around town.
- Get sweet on these great frozen treats.
- Eat Zahav chef Michael Solomonov's favorite burgers.
- Follow that up with the gonzo ice creams at Morimoto (five-spice pork fu flavor, anyone?).
- Wash it all down at the city's excellent beer bars.
- Dive deep into the Persian, Indian, and Arabic goods at Park Avenue Market.
- Smoothie crawl? Yes, smoothie crawl.
- Host a local cheese party —here's your shopping list (plus a few more).
- Revel in the waning days to drink outside, go behind the scenes at a local distillery, or visit the city's soda mecca.
- Stock up on picnic provisions at one of these fine, fine charcuteries.
- Eat seafood as the locals do at one of these joints.