There's so much going on in Talk and the comments week to week that we almost can't keep up. If you're in the same boat, here's a small selection of topics and responses that have piqued our interest this week.
"Have a dog party. Get everyone you know to bring their dog over and give them each a big, healthy bowl of it. Salt to taste."—meatntaters
"I would make pesto meatballs by mixing 1/2 c pesto, 1 egg, 1 cup breadcrumbs, and 1 lb ground turkey. Shape mixture into smallish balls, lay in a skillet and gently pour marinara sauce over. Bring to a boil and then cover and simmer until meatballs are done. This technique makes for very moist meatballs. Serve in as a meatball grinder or with pasta.Oh forgot to mention to not stir the sauce and meatballs until the meatballs are done, unless you want mush."—AnnieNT
"Pizza flavored chips on pizza...too much?"—kakugori
"Just try....Take one Dorito....and or Lays potato chip.....and light it with a match or lighter.
Best campfire starter without gas.
Now you have a survival skill if needed."— Dandbuilder
"What US Government agency's logo is referred to as "The Meatball"?
Who said, "I cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food."?
- W.C Fields
Who said, "The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook."?
- Julia Child
What kind of cheese did the Italian astronauts take with them on the Columbia Space Shuttle in 1996?
- Parmesan"— cyberroo
"A little late to the mix, but I thought I'd toss in 5. Not so much "food trivia" as "food-related trivia."
1. By what name is the Economist Magazine's comparison of purchasing power parity more commonly known?
2. The Girl Scouts recently debuted a cookie featuring NutriFusion. What flavor are they?
3. Complete this iconic quotation from The Godfather: "Leave the gun; take _________."
4. By what more foodie-friendly name are slimefish, patagonian toothfish, and dolphinfish more commonly marketed?
5. Whose food groups comprise Candy, Candy Canes, Candy Corn, and Syrup?
1. Big Mac Index
2. Mango Creme
3. The cannoli
4. Orange roughy, Chilean sea bass, Mahi-mahi
5. Buddy the Elf"— shoneyjoe
"'Confit is to deep fat frying what grilling is to barbecue. Low and slow versus fast and furious.'
Shouldn't it be Confit:deep fat frying::barbecue:grilling? I think one of your pairs is the wrong way round."— nycpunk1
"Crap! nycpunk1 beat me to it. Kenjii, did you do poorly on the analogies part of the SAT? :)"— b1ff!
"doh, sorry for the typos. That's what you get when you self-edit while your deck furniture is threatening to blow away in a freak wind/rainstorm and you have to chase it down in your underwear."— J. Kenji López-Alt