A Hamburger Today
We Made a Thanksgiving Cherpumple, It Was Crazy
Remember earlier this year when we showed you our Thanksgiving Cherpumple? It was a little early to be thinking about Thanksgiving back then so we won't be offended if you paid no attention to it. Now might be a better time to show you this triple-layer-pie-embedded-in-a-cake monstrosity.
What's a Cherpumple, you ask? It's something like the turduckens of desserts. First there was an original Cherpumple (yes there was a forefather Cherpumple who spawned derivative Cherpumples); it was comprised of three layers of pie—cherry, pumpkin, apple, hence the portmonteau name "cher-pump-le." Each of these pie layers was baked into a cake, and they were all stacked on top of each other. How do you... what the.. where is... Yes, all valid questions. See above for a visual.
But we took this concept to the next level. Why? Because we're crazy like that. And because the ladies of Food52 challenged us to a Cherpumple-Off, so we couldn't say no.
Sixteen hours of construction later, this is what Kenji came up with. Meet Sir Plumple, our Thanksgiving-inspired Cherpumple.
The Layers of Sir Plumple
- Top layer: Chicken pot pie baked into turkey-duck meatloaf (a turducken riff).
- Middle layer: Green bean casserole pie baked into sage-sausage stuffing.
- Bottom layer: Sweet potato pie baked into jalapeno cornbread.
- Exterior: Mashed potato frosting, fried garlic sprinkles and a cranberry sauce and chives garnish forming the shape of the Serious Eats logo on top.
Note: all of the pies within were double-crusted.
The Careful Stacking of Sir Plumple
Mashed Potato Piping
The Audience Ooohs and Aaaahs
So You Want to Make a Thanksgiving Cherpumple?
We don't really recommend trying this at home. But in case you really-really-really want to, here are some recipes for possible pie and cake layers, depending on if you want to go sweet or savory.
Possible Pie Layers
- Turkey and Cranberry Pie »
- Green Bean Casserole Pie »
- Mashed Potato and Gravy Pie »
- Stuffing Pie »
- Sweet Potato Pie »
- Classic Pumpkin Pie »
- Classic Pecan Pie »
- Perfect Apple Pie »
Possible "Cake" Layers