I don't think I ever made my mom breakfast in bed when I was a kid. The closest I ever got was reading Calvin and Hobbes cartoons in which Calvin considers doing it for his mom; I thought, perhaps, I should do the same. Well I'm making up for lost time now by imploring each and every one of you to make breakfast for your own mom's* this Mother's Day. I figure if at least 50 of you Serious Eaters out there do it, that's got to excuse me from a few years worth of ungrateful-kid purgatory, right?
*Or better yet, come over and make breakfast in bed for mine
Oh fine, I suppose I'll do something nice for my mom too.
Eggs and Beyond
The cornerstone of any good brunch, and the best way to make sure your mom's start their days off right.
- Deep Fried Breakfast Pizza With Sausage, Eggs, Parmesan, And Hollandaise »
- Easy Kale Quiche »
- Potato Chip Torta »
- Scotch Eggs »
- Trippa Alla Romana (Braised Tripe With Tomato, Herbs, And Parmesan) »
- Spinach Baked Eggs »
- Crab And Corn Cakes »
Crispy and starchy fill-her-ups that'll make your mother want to curl right back up under the covers and fall asleep. Hopefully that'll get you out of any other extra mother's day morning duties.
- Spicy Potato, Bok Choy, And Shallot Hash »
- Vegan: Crispy Potato, Onion, And Mushroom Rösti »
- Serious Eats' Corned Beef Hash »
- Potato Cakes »
Serious Breakfast Sandwiches
Serious sandwiches for serious moms.
- Gluten-Free Croque-Monsieur »
- Nancy Silverton's Breakfast Sandwich »
- Monte Cristo Sandwich (Fried Ham And Swiss With Red Currant Jelly) »
- Mushroom And Crushed Egg Tapas (Tapas De Setas Con Huevo) »
- Welsh Rarebit On Beer Waffles With Bacon And Tomatoes »
- Breakfast Banh Mi »
- Chive Biscuit Sandwich With Cheddar Spread, Canadian Bacon, And A Fried Egg »
Pancakes and Pastries
Light, fluffy, crispy, and rich. Kind of like your mother. Or something.
- Maple Bacon Pancakes »
- Salmon And Caviar Blini »
- Cheese Buns »
- Buchtel (Austrian-Style Fruit-Filled Sweet Rolls) »
- Serious Eats' Caramel Sticky Buns »
- Savory Tomato Scones »
About the author: J. Kenji Lopez-Alt is the Chief Creative Officer of Serious Eats where he likes to explore the science of home cooking in his weekly column The Food Lab. You can follow him at @thefoodlab on Twitter, or at The Food Lab on Facebook.