The Serious Eats sites are seeking more contributors in many cities, particularly: Austin, TX; Baltimore, MD; Boston, MA; Houston, TX; London; Las Vegas, NV; Los Angeles, CA; Miami, FL; New Orleans, LA; Paris; Portland, ME; Portland, OR; Raleigh/Durham, NC; Seattle, WA; Washington, D.C.
We want people who can write about (with strong preference to those who already have experience covering) one or more of the following: pizza, food events, restaurant and bar openings, cocktails, or craft beer, with the ability to turn around copy and photos quickly.
By Topic, We Need...
Pizza: New Jersey, Long Island, Connecticut (and ability to travel around those regions); Los Angeles
Sweets: Los Angeles, Seattle, Portland, OR., Atlanta, Austin, Miami, Philadelphia, D.C.
Cocktails, Restaurants, and More: Any major metropolitan area listed above.
Beer: Can be based anywhere.
What We're Looking For...
- Strong writing skills: Your sentences are tight, sharp, zippy, and fact-checked. They're descriptive and specific. They make us want to steal the food off your plate (or drink out of your hand, whatever the case may be). You send us clean copy that's spelled and punctuated correctly.
- Subject-Area Expertise: Tell us your qualifications! Did you work in a restaurant kitchen? Do an internship at a food magazine? Where has your writing appeared? Got Cicerone certification? Are you a BJCP beer judge? Cocktail writers should have drinks-related clips and demonstrate an understanding of cocktail basics and ingredients, as well as have a finger on the pulse of the trends and new openings.
- Great photography: We've set the bar pretty high on photography here. Your photos should be in focus, aesthetically pleasing, and most importantly, make the food and drinks look good. If you aren't a photographer, consider roping in a photographer friend to work with you, though providing images is ultimately your responsibility. Show us what you've got!
- Basic photo editing skills: Color correcting, resizing, file optimization, cropping, etc. (Goes hand in hand with above.)
- Bandwidth and commitment: Have enough time to commit to a weekly (or monthly, as arranged with editors) dispatch, meeting our set deadline.
- Blog-savviness: A familiarity with blogging applications is preferred; a willingness to learn is required.
Please send your qualifications and two writing samples and photos to [email protected]. If you're looking to write about cocktails, beer, pizza, or restaurants in a more general sense, the clips and information you send should reflect that.
Note that due to volume, we cannot reply to each pitch individually. Qualified applicants will be contacted via email to further the process.