A Hamburger Today
International Serious Eats Day: February 25, 2012
We've finally decided on a date!
International Serious Eats Day will take place on Saturday, February 25, 2012. A day where serious eaters will meet up in cities all over the world? Why yes, that is exactly this day!
Find a meet-up near you: We're using Meetup.com to establish various self-organizing meet-and-greet-and-eats around the world!
So far, SE'rs in and near the following locations have started meetup pages. Find one near you! (Don't see one? Start your own—more on that below.)
If You Want to Attend ...
You can use Meetup.com to register your interest. Once you're signed in, join in the discussion regarding venues and time. Many of the cities still don't have venues or meeting times, so do your fellow SE'rs a favor and suggest a good place for a group to meet up!
These are self-organizing, so venue and time are up to SE'rs in the various locations. We have suggested a 2 p.m. start time, but feel free to deviate from that.
A suggestion on choosing venues: It's best to pick a place that can readily and casually handle a group. The New York City meet-up is being held (for the second year) at a large biergarten/bar with a tasty snack menu (like sausages and pretzels). That way, attendees can pay for their drinks and food as they go—and no one will get stuck with dividing a bill or having to make up for any forgetful person who left early (not that any SE'r would do that, right?).
But What If I Can't Meet on February 25th?!?
In our minds everyday is International Serious Eats Day! So we encourage you to organize a meet-up with fellow SE'rs on any day of the year. We picked 2/25 after asking y'all to vote here.
Proposed Cities and Venues (So Far)
- NYC: Radegast Hall & Biergarten, 2 p.m.
- Chicago: Revolution Brewing, 2 p.m.
- Philadelphia: Brauhaus Schmitz, 2 p.m.
- San Francisco / Oakland: Zeitgeist, 2 p.m.
- Los Angeles: Wurstküche, 2 p.m.
- San Diego: Cremolose, 2 p.m.
- Seattle: Mezcaleria Oaxaca, 1 p.m.
- Washington, D.C.: Boundary Stone Public House, 2 p.m.
- Little Rock, AR: OW Pizza Downtown, 2 p.m.
- Portland, OR: Bunk Bar, 3:30 p.m.
- Atlanta, GA: Ormsby's, 2 p.m.
- Boulder, CO: Tangerine, 12:30 p.m.
- Salt Lake City, UT: Penny Ann's Cafe, 2 p.m.
- Milwaukee, WI: Oscar's Pub and Grill, 2 p.m.
- Saint Louis, MO: Milagro Modern Mexican, 12 p.m.
- Boston: 528 Commonwealth Avenue, 2 p.m.
- Baltimore: TBD, 2 p.m.
- Tampa: TBD, 7 p.m.
- Kansas City: TBD, 2 p.m.
- Rochester: TBD, 2 p.m.
- Plano, TX: Whiskey Cake, 2 p.m.
- Raleigh, NC: Neomonde Restaurant, 2 p.m.
- Mexico City: La Covadonga, 8 p.m.
- Singapore: TBD, 7 p.m.
- Jerusalem: Gan Sacher, Sderot Ben Tzvi, 2 p.m. [Note: This meet-up is on Sunday, 2/26]
- Nantes, France: TBD, 2 p.m.
- Stuttgart, Germany: TBD, 6 p.m.
Note: We'll be adding more cities to the above list as the meet-ups are created.
Don't See Your City? Tips on Starting an SE Meetup of Your Own
- Instead of asking here on this post if anyone's interested in XYZ city, just go to the Meetup.com page and create one! Since we don't have the fancy messaging doodads here, the Meetup.com page will be the easiest way to do this and keep in touch with SE'rs near you.
- It's best to join the nearest, biggest meetup instead of creating a smaller one. For example: Don't create a St. Paul MN meetup — just join the Minneapolis one! Don't create a Malibu event, just join the L.A. one! We'll get more folks at each one if we don't fractionalize them
Questions? Please don't hesitate to ask in the comments here!