When you organize a dill pickle tasting, you inevitably inherit jars and jars of pickle juice. We saw this as an opportunity. What all can you do with the salty, dilly, vinegary juice? Turns out, A LOT. Approximately a gazillion things. Thank you for all the ideas suggested in this and this Talk thread. Here's a compilation of some ideas!
- Reuse the brine to make more pickles out of different fruits and veggies. Carrots, mushrooms, beets, radishes, green beans (aka dilly beans), the list goes on. Optional: spice it up with hot peppers.
- Deviled eggs.
- Mix into potato salad, tuna salad, chicken salad, or macaroni salad to add moisture and a flavor boost.
- Sauces and dressings. Replace some of the vinegar in a salad dressing, dress slaw with it, and tartar sauce could always use some.
- Brine chicken or pork with it. Drizzle it on grilled fish. Marinate beef with it. Pickle juice tenderizes meat like crazy. But if you're using pickles that contain yellow dye, mix the juice with 50-50 water, otherwise it yellows the meat.
- Boil whole potatoes in it. Not only does it season them nicely but the acid in the juice keeps the 'tato surfaces relatively intact over a longer simmer, while the insides get creamy.
- Steam vegetables in it.
- Pickle pops! Freeze the juice in ice cube trays (which can go into a Bloody Mary) or popsicle molds.
- Snow cones? OK maybe this is pushing it, but topping snow cones with pickle juice is a thing in Texas.
- Marinate soft white cheese in it.
- Pickle soup. More on that here.
- Pickle bread. More on that here.
- Drink it straight, on the rocks. Sipping a cold PJ after a long run, or just on a hot day, or when hungover is an effective way to replace lost electrolytes and sodium. Also, Nolan Ryan apparently used to soak the fingers of his pitching hand in pickle juice to prevent blisters.
- Throw it into a Bloody Mary.
- Take a shot of pickle juice after a shot of whiskey. Picklebacks! Nothing de-whiskies the mouth like that salty, briny green juice.
- Sticking with the drinking theme, Pickletinis. Pickle juice plus vodka or gin.
- Finally, SE member jcruz says, "fill water guns, preferably Super Soakers, with it and shoot your neighbor's kids, pets, etc."
What'd we forget?