A Hamburger Today
Meet & Eat: Shell Tu, Serious Eats Intern
It's time to meet another intern with us this summer, Shell Tu. She's been clicking many beautiful photos around the office for taste tests, cocktail-making photo shoots, and of all the sandwiches that make their way in here. Get to know her likes (brunch, Anthony Bourdain) and dislikes (natto, a.k.a. fermented soybean). —The Mgmt.
Name: Shell Tu
Location: China and New York
1. Guilty pleasures? Eating a whole jar of coconut gelato at 2 a.m.
2. Describe your perfect meal: It has to be somewhere in Japan, preferably in a fishy-smelling place. A huge platter of sashimi (o-toro, unagi, uni etc.) fresh from the sea is served. The meal should end with some sort of delightful matcha dessert. Oh, I also have Anthony Bourdain as my company and can hear him cursing about the wonderful food we have!
3. What food won't you eat? Natto (fermented soybean). I love love love Japanese food but this is probably the only thing I can't stand. Gooey and stinky, it reminds me of something that comes from a cow's stomach. Though loaded with nutrients, it cannot redeem itself.
4. What would you like to try but haven't yet? Cactus. I heard cactus salad is really delicious and would love to try, probably when I take a trip to Arizona.
5. Favorite food person? Anthony Bourdain. He lives my dream. I feel honored to be in this Meet & Eat series with him. Food writing wise, M.F.K Fisher is my favorite. How in the world can one write about food so lyrically?
6. When did you first realize you were a serious eater? When I found out that I spent 90% of my money I earned on food.
7. What do your family and friends think of your food obsessions? My friends wholly support my passion because they get to eat delicious food and hear good advice on restaurants in the city. As for my family, many of them are hardcore foodies so of course they love it!
9. Everyone has a go-to person they call for restaurant recommendations. Who's yours? All the Yelpers. I'm a Yelp fan. But 'm always the go-to person for my friends who come into the city. I have a good list of affordable, delicious eats for college students.
10. And what's the best recommendation Yelp has ever given you? Once I typed "pork feet" in Yelp's New York page, and I found a result. Hakata Tonton in the West Village.
11. What is your favorite meal of the day and where do you get it? Brunch! A big, good brunch brightens up my day and still allows me to eat more later. I usually grab brunch at the city hot spots like Clinton Street Baking Co. or Sarabeth, but sometimes I cook brunch with friends.
12. Do you ever cook? What's the best dish you make? YES, I cook and bake all the time. Best dish? I would say parsley chicken and cheesecake of all kinds.