I didn't grow up with creamed onions, but they seem pretty luxurious to me— little orbs bathing in rich liquid, cooked until the sweetness has been coaxed forward. Of course, I wouldn't turn away a sweet-and-sour vinegar-basted onion, or a roasted, caramelized one, either. I've often felt that the humble onion doesn't get enough respect.
Are onions a star at your Thanksgiving meal?
- Creamed Onions with Bacon and Herbs [Bon Appetit]
- Thomas Keller's Creamed Pearl Onions [NYMag]
- Roasted Parmesan-Creamed Onions [SE]
- Creamy Anchos and Onions [FW]
- Roasted Cipollini Onions With Sherry Caramel [OregonLive]
- Thyme-roasted Apples and Onions [EatMakeRead]