"Right now, people like messy," said New York-based food stylist Alison Attenborough in this fascinating Wall Street Journal piece on how food styling in glossies and on television has changed over the years. No more hairspray and powdered deodorant spray gimmicks to engineer that "perfect" luster—now it's all about the au naturel, bitten-apart, cheese-dribbling handmade look.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- How Hot Is Too Hot? Adam Savage and The Food Lab Sear Steaks to Find Out
- How to Make Real-Deal Cuban Sandwiches
- The Food Lab: Finding My Mojo With Cuban-Style Roast Pork
- 18 Party-Friendly Burger and Sandwich Recipes for July 4th
- The Food Lab: A Mind-Blowing Technique for Cleaning Deep-Fry Oil Using Gelatin