"Right now, people like messy," said New York-based food stylist Alison Attenborough in this fascinating Wall Street Journal piece on how food styling in glossies and on television has changed over the years. No more hairspray and powdered deodorant spray gimmicks to engineer that "perfect" luster—now it's all about the au naturel, bitten-apart, cheese-dribbling handmade look.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- What "Selling Out" Allows a Craft Brewery to Do
- Video: Use Your Cast Iron Pan and a Tortilla for Extra-Crispy Pizza in Just 12 Minutes
- Frozen Mezcal Paloma: The Bright, Not-Too-Sweet Answer to a Margarita
- Fire Up the Grill for Vietnamese Caramelized Lemongrass Pork Chops
- Flipping Out for the Perfect Spanish Tortilla (Tortilla Española)