"Right now, people like messy," said New York-based food stylist Alison Attenborough in this fascinating Wall Street Journal piece on how food styling in glossies and on television has changed over the years. No more hairspray and powdered deodorant spray gimmicks to engineer that "perfect" luster—now it's all about the au naturel, bitten-apart, cheese-dribbling handmade look.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- McDonald's Killed Burger King's McWhopper, so We Made it Ourselves
- A Summer Vegetable Lasagna That's Light (but Not Too Light)
- The Best Peach Cobbler Is Also a Simple Peach Cobbler
- Lomo al Trapo: The Colombian Technique That Will Change the Way You Grill Beef
- Summer Vegetable Lasagna With Zucchini, Squash, Eggplant, and Tomato