"I'm surprised how many are confessing to salting their watermelon; it's liberating..! I, too, salt mine and endure the scorn of those in attendance. My rationale is that I learned it at my father's knee. He grew up in Texas working an outside trade and used salted melon as a way to rebuild his electrolytes although he would have never used that term ;~)" —czken, on "Poll: How Do You Eat Your Watermelon?"
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Lomo al Trapo: The Colombian Technique That Will Change the Way You Grill Beef
- A Social History of Jell-O Salad: The Rise and Fall of an American Icon
- How to Not F#&k Up a Caprese Salad
- Beyond the Taco: 30 Mexican, Mexican-Inspired, and Tex-Mex Recipes
- Turn Scallion Greens and Tomato Skins From Trash to Delicious Powdered Treasure