"I'm surprised how many are confessing to salting their watermelon; it's liberating..! I, too, salt mine and endure the scorn of those in attendance. My rationale is that I learned it at my father's knee. He grew up in Texas working an outside trade and used salted melon as a way to rebuild his electrolytes although he would have never used that term ;~)" —czken, on "Poll: How Do You Eat Your Watermelon?"
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Why I Prefer Teaspoons to Grams: 6 Measuring Mistakes That Derail Dessert
- What Is American Cheese, Anyway?
- Grilled Oysters Are Better With Butter: How to Make the Best Barbecued Oysters
- Why a Control State Liquor Store Might Be Your Best Bet for Finding Rare and Interesting Spirits
- No Brine, No Heat: Easy Pickled Onions in Just 15 Minutes