"I'm surprised how many are confessing to salting their watermelon; it's liberating..! I, too, salt mine and endure the scorn of those in attendance. My rationale is that I learned it at my father's knee. He grew up in Texas working an outside trade and used salted melon as a way to rebuild his electrolytes although he would have never used that term ;~)" —czken, on "Poll: How Do You Eat Your Watermelon?"
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- How to Make Okonomiyaki: Japanese Comfort, Any Way You Like It
- Why You'll Never Find Unbleached Cake Flour in My Pantry
- It's Always Morning Somewhere: My Favorite Breakfasts Around the World
- Why Preserved Lemons Belong on Your Shelf
- Marinate Tough Greens, Use Fresh Herbs, and More Pro Tips for Better Salads