Memphis in May: Barbecue Competition Judgment Day in Photos
After six months of planning, thousands of dollars and a whole lot of smoke, each team at Memphis in May gets its shot at the title of World Champion (when it comes to barbecue, is there really a world beyond the South?). You've seen day one and day two—it's now time for day three in photos of the world's largest pork competition.
Memphis in May 2010 Finalists
Grand Champion: Yazoo's Delta Q
1. Cool Smoke, (Richmond, VA)
2. Rebel Roaster Revue (Memphis, TN)
3. Sweet Swine o' Mine (Memphis, TN)
1. Yazoo's Delta Q (Nesbit, MS)
2. 10 Bones BBQ (Olive Branch, MS)
3. The Shed BBQ and Blues Joint (Ocean Springs, MS)
1. Natural Born Grillers (Southaven, MS)
2. Sofa King Smokers (Madison MS)
3. Prime Time BBQ (Eureka, MO)
Patio Porkers (Open Contest for First-Time Competitors)
1. Lord of the Swine (Marion, AR)
2. Here for the Beer (Little Rock, AR)
3. Hoof Hearted (Millington, TN)
Results from the rest of the contest, including ancillary categories for side dishes and non-pork meats, can be found here.
About the author: James Boo has been a Serious Eats contributor since 2010. Working as a freelance journalist, he is also the founder of Real Cheap Eats and a documentarian. Check out his food-and-travel blog, The Eaten Path, for more journeys to the real meal.