Vancouver 2010 Olympics: Top 10 Breakfast and Brunch
In the run up to the 2010 Winter Olympics, Vancouver food blogger Melody Fury (Gourmet Fury) is dropping by to guide travelers to the city's hidden gems in a series of Top 10 Local Recommendations. These locations are easily accessible from Downtown (within walking distance or by public transit). The recommendations boast of the unique, international delights that this beautiful sea-to-sky city offers. —The Mgmt.
10 out of 10 moms agree that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Vancouverites can't agree more.
When travelling, one has no excuse for skipping breakfast. Slow down and savour every sip of your coffee.
Brunch is a vital part of our laid-back Westcoast culture and nothing kicks off the weekend like a chilled glass of Mimosa and a healthy dose of hollandaise sauce.
Here are our Top 10 favourite breakfast and brunch spots
1. Provence Marinaside - Watching the sun rise over the glimmering waters of False Creek over a seafood benedict is as good as it gets. Share a warm pastry basket with your company; their flaky chocolate croissant is something to behold. Yaletown, 1177 Marinaside Cres.
2. Aphrodite Organic Café and Pie Shop - Dedicated to local and organic food, the folks here create irresistible frittatas, quiches, sandwiches and more. Order from their fresh sheet that boasts of seasonal ingredients and artisanal meats and sausages. Their fresh baked goods and homestyle pies are worth the bus-ride. Vegan and gluten-free friendly. Kitsilano, 3598 W 4th Ave.
3. Bon's Off Broadway - When your head is pounding from a wild night out you can't quite remember, trade notes with your friends over the cheapest (and perhaps, greasiest) breakfast in town. Arrive with coffee in hand and be prepared for line-ups. 2451 Nanaimo St
4. Deacon's Corner - From 7am on, this modern diner dishes out comfort food like it's nobody's business. Apart from the omelettes, scrambles, and pancakes, they have 3 "Big Breakfasts" on the menu. Try their Carolina Pancakes & Eggs (2 buttermilk pancakes, pulled pork and eggs) if you're up for the challenge. Gastown, 101 Main Street
5. Cafe Medina - Famous for their Belgian Waffles, this Gastown gem adds a unique spin to your eggs and sausage. Moroccan meatballs, braised short ribs, baba ganoush, and even cassoulet are staples on their brunch menu. Gastown, 556 Beatty St.
6. DB Bistro Moderne - Daniel Boulud, "Chef-Owner of ten award-winning, critically-acclaimed restaurants" sets foot in Vancouver and introduces a luxurious brunch menu. I suppose you could order the Croque Monsieur. My suggestion: indulge in his heart-stopping twist on a French Canadian classic - Duck Poutine Lyonnaise (Duck Confit with Onion, Mushroom, Cheese Curd, Duck Jus, Egg). Kitsilano. 2551 W Broadway.
7. Subeez Cafe - Part funky rotating gallery, part lounge, part cafe, Subeez is a hip and easy hangout around the clock. Their open kitchen serves up delicious breakfast and brunch in this eclectic establishment. Yaletown/ Downtown, 891 Homer St
8. Raincity Grill - This appropriately named restaurant that resides on the English Bay is all about farm-to-table cuisine; they offer a fantastic 100-mile tasting menu for dinner. For brunch, their sophisticated $19 prix fixe can't be beat. Take a stroll around the scenic Seawall to wrap up a lazy afternoon. West End, 1193 Denman St.
9. Sophie's Cosmic Cafe - Established in 1988, this cheerful and colourful diner buzzes from daybreak. On the exterior, their leopard print signage and the crowd of eager diners are eye catching. Inside, you will find families, hipsters, and grannies alike trying to finish their generous greasy-spoon portions. Go early; they open at 8 am. Kitsilano, 2095 W 4th Ave.
10. Templeton - This old school diner has been in the Granville St. entertainment district since 1934 (after several ownership changes). The Templeton lovingly preserved the original 50's interior, including the soda fountain booths, stools, and jukeboxes. Their motto, "Quality Food, Snappy Service", sums up what to expect. Downtown, 1087 Granville St.