Mr. Potato Head wasn't always the fat, hollow plastic lump with various accessories that we know him as today. When he was first created by Brooklyn-born toy inventor George Lerner in 1949, Mr. Potato Head was made of a real potato, leading to decades of kids jabbing tubers with plastic body parts. Those were the good old days. Watch this vintage toy commercial after the jump.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- 24 Creamy, Melty, Cheesy Recipes to Warm Your Belly
- The Food Lab: 15-Minute Ultra-Gooey Stovetop Mac and Cheese
- Can Cinder, the World's Most Precise Griddle, Replace Sous-Vide?
- Forget Soaking. Use Your Pressure Cooker for Perfect Black Beans in Under an Hour.
- These Toasted Baguette Croutons Are Better Than Most Crackers