Mr. Potato Head wasn't always the fat, hollow plastic lump with various accessories that we know him as today. When he was first created by Brooklyn-born toy inventor George Lerner in 1949, Mr. Potato Head was made of a real potato, leading to decades of kids jabbing tubers with plastic body parts. Those were the good old days. Watch this vintage toy commercial after the jump.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- McDonald's Killed Burger King's McWhopper, so We Made it Ourselves
- The Best Peach Cobbler Is Also a Simple Peach Cobbler
- Charcoal Versus Gas Grills: The Definitive Guide
- Why Jianbing is China's Most Popular Street Breakfast
- Lomo al Trapo: The Colombian Technique That Will Change the Way You Grill Beef