According to our handy site-metering utility, the top 10 most delicious items across the Serious Eats family of sites this week were ...
1. The Food Lab: How To Make The Best Chili Ever "...to call something 'The Best Chili Ever' implies that the recipe is perfect, and perfection implies that there is no room for improvement. I can only hope that others will continue perfecting the chili work that began on the Tex-Mex border and that I continue testing well after the last rich and spicy remnant is licked clean off the bottom of the bowl...."
2. Taste Test: Veggie Burgers "Texture really is the critical element that makes a successful veggie burger."
3. Quiz: How Much Do You Know About Vegan Substitutes? "Say your friend or loved one (or maybe even you) just decided to become a vegan. What happens to the big, buttery birthday cake or cheese pairing for that wine? Do you know much about vegan substitutes? (Does wheat meat mean anything to you?) See how prepared you would be for the new diet."
4. Cakespy: Velveeta Fudge "Looks like Velveeta's not just for nachos anymore."
5. What Foods Are Banned from Your Office? "If you currently work in an office or have ever worked in one, are/were there any banned foods? What were they? Why were they banned?"
6. Serious Cheese: For Cheese Dip, Toss the Velveeta and Try Welsh Rarebit "I have a confession to make. In my 26 years, I have never watched a Super Bowl. Heck, I've never even sat through an entire football game. So my position as an authority on appropriate food for the upcoming sports event of the year is pretty shaky. Nevertheless, having spent an informative and kind-of-icky half hour googling "cheese dip recipe," I think I can suggest a better alternative to this tired, processed party staple. Before we start, go ahead and throw away the Velveeta...."
7. I Can't Buy Bottled Water Anymore. Just Can't "...I am not an eco-warrior and I don't mean to sound preachy or depressing, especially on a generally upbeat food blog, but I can't get it out of my mind. The worst is the plastic bottle caps which will never decompose. The worst of the worst is the caps that you have to tear off just to get to the caps. Sigh...."
8. The Different Types of Peanut Butter Eaters "I realized we had a real microcosm of peanut butter eaters in my office. They broke down into three basic types...."
9. Maker's Mark Announces a New Bourbon "If the new Maker's Mark bourbon is a success, it may prompt other American distillers to release more 'what-if' experiments."
10. Your Starbucks/Cafe order "I used to get skinny lattes, but after I learned of the horrors of aspartame, I try to avoid artificial sweeteners at all costs (sugar/honey/agave are so much tastier in moderation anyway). Occasionally, I'll get food, but it depends on my mood. So, how do you like your coffee?"