According to our handy site-metering utility, the top 10 most delicious items across the Serious Eats family of sites this week were ...
1. Cakespy: Deep-Fried Cupcakes on a Stick "The answer is yes, I am trying to kill you, Paula Deen–style. These deep-fried cupcakes on sticks may in fact not stick to your New Year's resolution plan, but they're delicious. "
2. Fish Taco Chains in Southern California Roundup "When I return home to Southern California, it's not really In-N-Out that I crave--it's the fish tacos."
3. Video: Special Coke Machine Dispenses More Than Just Soda "Sure, it's a naked attempt at viral video. And, sure, we're playing into it. But it's a fun spot, nonetheless. Pizza from a vendo? Yes, please. Vid, after the jump."
4. The Caveman Diet "Heard about this in a tweet from @linecook: 'This is just stupid. Hipsters need to lay off the Geico commercials.' I'd like to see these fools and a gang of vegans in a big 'ole 'who has the cooler diet' brawl...."
5. Alton Brown's Sardine-Avocado Sandwich Diet "If you've seen Alton Brown on television recently (his Iron Chef White House appearance, the Welch's Grape Juice commercials, or of course, Good Eats) you've probably noticed that a big chunk of him is missing. Where did you go, Alton?..."
6. Alice Waters-Edible Schoolyard Takedown in the 'Atlantic Monthly': Wrong, Wrong, Wrong "...Flanagan's jumping off point for the story is this: the Edible Schoolyard curriculum is not only not helpful, it's destructive, counter-productive, racist, paternalistic, and classist. How is she wrong? Let us count the ways...."
7. The Food Lab: Is Good Pizza Really All About the Water? "...are the effects of the minerals in the water (referred to as Total Dissolved Solids, or TDS) significant enough to be detected by a normal eater in real-world situation?"
8. America's Test Kitchen frustrates me "I admire their website and magazines, and I watch their TV shows frequently. However, sometimes they do things that make no sense to me at all. On today's episode they were roasting a chicken in a dutch oven. The first thing Julia did was to take out the giblet bag and throw it directly into the trash. Then she grabbed the fat lobe from the cavity and threw it away in disgust, exclaiming "there's no flavor here." Okay, so maybe those parts had no use in their recipe, but to treat them as trash is irresponsible, in my opinion.... Does anyone else find their kitchen practices aggravating?"
9. How to Get a Spotted Pig Burger with American Cheese "At this point, I'm probably just risking a lifetime ban from the Spotted Pig."
10. Dos Toros Taqueria: Mission-Style Burritos, As Good as California's? "If this were a burrito episode of Iron Chef, Dos Toros would be the winner."