According to our handy site-metering utility, the top 10 most delicious items across the Serious Eats family of sites this week were ...
1. The Food Lab: The Importance of Resting Meat "You mean I have to wait before I can tuck into that perfectly charred ribeye? Unfortunately, yes. Here's why."
2. Peanut Butter + Cookie Dough Tube = Genius "The phone rang the other day. It was my mother. Those of you who have read my posts before may recall that while I'm more of a from-scratch kind of guy, my mother is more, well semi-homemade...."
3. French Macarons Coming Soon to Starbucks "The 12-piece macaron boxes made in France by Château Blanc will only be sold for a limited time, from December 13 until December 25. The Serious Eats office got a box of the macarons to try before they hit the shops...."
4. Top Chef Season 6 Finale: And the Winner Is... "Is it just me, or did this seem like the longest season of Top Chef ever? I feel like I've been watching it since the Clinton administration! In any event, the finale pitted the lovable, talented Kevin Gillespie against the robotic Voltaggio brothers, who may quite possibly be distant relatives of Vicki from Small Wonder...."
5. Cakespy's Gingerbread Mad Men "They say you have to learn the rules before you break them. But is it ever possible to break them just a little bit while you learn them? Case in point: gingerbread men...."
6. Talk: Worst Foodie Gift Ever? "So, people know you like to cook or eat the good stuff, right? And sometimes they give you food-related gifts, right? So what was the worst food-related gift you ever got? For me, it's a tossup between the plastic M&Ms dispenser I got a couple years ago, or the recent gift of the mini-marshmallows that had a sell-by date of over a year ago."
7. Dinner Tonight: Quick White Bean Stew with Swiss Chard and Tomatoes "With the cold weather sinking in and the holiday decor up, all I can think about are stews for dinner. As with last week's acorn squash with shrimp and green bean stew, it doesn't have to involve tons of meat. The combination of greens and beans might not sound like a winner but with some extra-virgin olive oil and a sprinkling of good Parmesan, they manage to taste meaty and satisfying...."
8. Mixed Review: Bouchon Bakery Chocolate Chunk Cookie Mix "These are, without a doubt, the best chocolate chip cookies I've ever baked from a mix."
9. A Guide to Cookie Swaps "What Is a Cookie Swap? Pretty much just what it sounds like: a gathering where cookie swappage takes place. It's kind of like a potluck but multiplied by cookies and since they are especially all the rage during Christmastime (not that cookies are ever not raging) the swaps usually happen during December...."
10. Talk: "Invited to Dinner" Food Mishaps "Once upon a time, you were invited to a gathering where food was served by the host... except that the food wasn't just 'meh, I could do better,' it was worse. What was it, and were you able to keep a straight face? For me, my most memorable experience was when my parents-in-law invited us over for assemble-your-own fajitas. The look on my brother-in-law's face when his mom brought out her version of guacamole was priceless: mashed overripe avocado and soft-boiled egg. My husband, normally someone who keeps his ruder thoughts to himself, blurted out, 'Holy s***, that looks like zombie brains!'"