According to our handy site-metering utility, the top 10 most delicious items across the Serious Eats family of sites this week were ...
1. The Food Lab: Animal Fat Mayonnaise "...I thought to myself: 'If I can make mayonnaise out of egg yolks and oil, why can't I make mayonnaise out of egg yolks and rendered animal fat?' Turns out, it's not so simple...."
2. The 10 Worst Food Trends? Really? "The Chicago Tribune ran a piece this week about the supposed "ten worst dining trends" of the last decade. We all know top-ten lists are a great way to get people's attention, and a negative list like this really sets people off. But are these trends really all bad? I don't think so. Let's take them one at a time...."
3. Talk: What Strange Things Are in the Door of Your Fridge? "We are doing a tear out of our kitchen this week, and removing all food, spices and other fun stuff from our fridge so it can be moved into the garage for the duration. Despite the fact I emptied the fridge just a year ago for a hurricane, in the door, I find all manner of mustards, jalapeños both sweet and hot, sugar free blueberry jelly (where'd that come from?), and pickled fiddleheads. What oddities do you have in the fridge door?"
4. Kimchi Donuts from Dunkin' Donuts in Korea "Fried dough and fermented cabbage aren't two things that usually join forces, except maybe in South Korea, where my friend spotted this kimchi donut...."
5. Cakespy: Candy Corn Nanaimo Bars "The Nanaimo Bar is possibly Canada's crowning culinary achievement: a decadent no-bake bar composed of a dense chocolate and coconut base topped with a rich, custardy buttercream and then crowned with a firm chocolate topping. But in this version, the classic puts on a Halloween costume, swapping the top chocolate layer for a layer of sweet and festive melted candy corn...."
6. Talk: Help! Whoopie Pies... "I made the Pumpkin Whoopie Pies from the Baked cookbook last night. I put them in the fridge covered with plastic wrap, as it says to do. They were already cooled when I put them in. This morning there was enough condensation inside the container that they are sticky/mushy on the surface. What can I do to fix them?"
7. Time for a Drink: Bloody Mary "The Bloody Mary is open to almost any interpretation."
8. That's Nuts: Five Things To Do with Leftover Halloween Candy "With all those peanuts floating around, I thought it would be fun to work up a few alternatives, rather than just scarfing them straight from the wrapper. These aren't "recipes" per se (for me that means "from scratch"). They're just fun ways to enjoy your (or your kids') trick-or-treat loot...."
9. The Best Artisanal Chocolate Bars "No offense to Snickers and Nestle Crunch, but in a perfect world, we'd trick-or-treat and be handed these hand-made chocolates. Inspired by classic Halloween candies, these chocolatiers from all over the country have stepped it up with fancy ganaches, fruit pâtes, pumpkin puree, and (kids, close your eyes) scotch. Ordering these might require a little more effort than hopping into a CVS, but they're pretty special...."
10. Talk: Anyone Use Pumpkin (or Apple Sauce) and Oil to Replace Butter? "I tried it and I'm not sure if I like it. Looking for some opinions on this practice."