It's a sad day for D.C. residents and half-smoke lovers everywhere: Ben Ali, co-founder of landmark greasy spoon Ben's Chili Bowl, passed away last night. As DCist points out, "the chili, half-smokes, cheese fries and shakes that have made Ben's Chili Bowl famous since it opened in 1958 are still prepared the same way today as they were when Ben first started."
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Grilled Oysters Are Better With Butter: How to Make the Best Barbecued Oysters
- What Is American Cheese, Anyway?
- Special Sauce: How Roy Choi Plans to Change the World
- Why a Control State Liquor Store Might Be Your Best Bet for Finding Rare and Interesting Spirits
- Garlic-Parsley Butter (Beurre Maître d'Hôtel)