This Week's Tasty 10
According to our handy site-metering utility, the top 10 most delicious items across the Serious Eats family of sites this week were ...
1. Videos: A Preview of Amanda Hesser's "Food 52" Website, Plus a Tour of Her Kitchen: Former New York Times Magazine food editor Amanda Hesser—along with food writer and recipe-tester Merrill Stubbs—are launching a new site called Food 52, and in this introduction to the concept, you get a glimpse of Hesser's envy-inducing kitchen.
2. How Do You Define a Grilled Cheese Sandwich? There is plenty of room for interpretation when it comes to this classic comfort-food dish. Some folks like to add prosciutto, but would that technically be a ham and cheese sandwich that's been grilled? Purists argue that grilled cheese should have just cheese, and that's that. Where do you stand?
3. The Simplicity of a Subway Breakfast: "Subway started up their breakfast menu months ago and I've made my way over there on occasion and my addiction has become their flat bread wrap with egg whites, ham, chedder and some tomatoes and jalapenos. It's simple, filling, pretty healthy and really good...they haven't failed me yet." [from Talk]
4. Eat for Eight Bucks: Spaghetti all'Aglio e Olio with Marinated Summer Vegetables: "The pomodori al forno served at Seattle's Café Lago, recipe transcribed and exalted by Molly Wizenberg, is a keeper. I’ve made the slow-roasted tomato dish so many times in the last six months that it feels like, as the saying goes, I’ve known it all my life."
5. Seriously Asian: Hooked on Udon: "Finally, these were the noodles of my dreams, noodles with the kind of the flexible yet creamy strands that I had only ever tasted with homemade Italian pasta."
6. Dinner Tonight: Salmon Burgers: "Normally I'm suspicious when it comes to non-beef burgers, since a proper hamburger is such a marvelous culinary pinnacle...Yet so many preconceived notions have met their doom...The result is a wonderful way to enjoy salmon."
7. Expresso v.s Espresso: A pro-Expresso rant: Is Sandra Lee mispronouncing "espresso" as "expresso" on her TV show? [from Talk]
8. Grilling: Chinese-Style Spare Ribs: "Everything with the recipe was spot-on: the flavors, the texture, and even the color."
9. Why I Hate 'Hell's Kitchen' "It’s not only that I think that Hell’s Kitchen is a terribly crafted program. It’s that it feeds off the very worst of humanity—sure, drawing out the ugliest parts of its competitors, but getting the audience caught up in it, too."
10. Potbelly Sandwich Works: Big Sandwiches for a Small Price: "In the D.C.-area, Potbelly sandwiches aren't just seemingly good; they really are very tasty sandwiches for an extremely reasonable price."