According to our handy site-metering utility, the top 10 most delicious items across the Serious Eats family of sites this week were ...
1. Wine and Plastic Cups: Not a Perfect Pairing "If you can't be bothered washing stemware or are worried about fragile stems breaking outside, get yourself some stemless wine glasses."
2. Cookout Etiquette "... In MY opinion, the host should provide some meats, some drinks, some sides, and definitely at least chairs and plates; and that guests should know to bring sides, meats, and whatever else they'd like to share. I guess really, we're trying to venture into more "grown up" parties, since we're about to graduate soon and move on into the real world. How do you guys go about this?"
3. Slim Jim Shortage in Effect A gas leak that led to an explosion that killed three people has halted production of Slim Jim snacks.
4. Served: Goodbye Waiting Tables, Goodbye NYC, Goodbye Served Hannah Howard bids adieu to her weekly column after a little more than a year. We're sad to see you go, Hannah, but best of luck to you in your new job!
5. Grilling: Pizza "Although the high heat of the grill produces a truly excellent pizza, it's a challenge to get a perfectly cooked crisp crust at the same time the toppings are ready, but after years of trial and error, I've developed a fairly foolproof way to get perfect pizzas every time."
6. The Nasty Bits: Tongue Tied
"No part of the animal illustrates this point more cogently than the tongue. When I set my cow’s tongue down on the chopping board, I took one look at it and was instantly struck by its remarkable resemblance to my own. The tongue, which is really more muscle meat than inner organ, possesses that signature, tell-tale curvature regardless of whether it comes from a calf, a cow, or a human."
7. 'What We Eat When We Eat Alone'
Prompted by the title of the quirky new book by Deborah Madison, we asked serious eaters what they dine on when they're eating solo. Lots of delicious-sounding—and deliciously embarrassing guilty pleasures are revealed.
8. Standing Room Only: Jimmy's Red Hots in Chicago
Chicago-based correspondent Nick Kindelsperger kicks off his new series Standing Room Only at one of Chicago's finest seatless eateries.
9. Money Saving Tips On Food
"My husband recently lost his job.... I had a good old-fashioned pity party, but now I'm looking for some suggestions on the best ways to save money on food. I've gotten some great ideas from my readers, but aside from the obvious less meat, more rice and beans, and joining a warehouse club...is there anything else?"
10. Rice Paddy Art in Japan
Made by "strategically arranging and growing different colors of rice plants."