Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary added 100 new words for 2009, some of them food-related. Here are a few of those: acai, carbon footprint, goji, haram (sorta—can be applied to foods), locavore, schwarma. Points to anyone who can use all of those in one sentence.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- What Is American Cheese, Anyway?
- Grilled Oysters Are Better With Butter: How to Make the Best Barbecued Oysters
- Why I Prefer Teaspoons to Grams: 6 Measuring Mistakes That Derail Dessert
- Why a Control State Liquor Store Might Be Your Best Bet for Finding Rare and Interesting Spirits
- The Perfect Blueberry Pie: Fast, Easy, and Totally Reliable