File this under "Because We Rarely Have Reason to Talk About Slim Jims": If you're wondering where your beloved beef jerky sticks are, there's a shortage due to a deadly explosion last month caused by a gas leak that destroyed the only Slim Jim plant in the country in Garner, North Carolina, and killed three employees. The company doesn't expect to meet full Slim Jim demand until fall. [via Best Week Ever] Update (7/13/09): Donations to the ConAgra Foods Garner Plant Fund are being accepted through United Way. BlueRidgeNow.com has a feature about the victims and their families. The factory will resume operations on July 27. ConAgra says there is no Slim Jim shortage.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Charcoal Versus Gas Grills: The Definitive Guide
- The Burrito Goes Global With Chicken Vindaloo
- Lomo al Trapo: The Colombian Technique That Will Change the Way You Grill Beef
- Ideas in Food's Best Japanese-Style Fried Chicken Just Happens to Be Gluten-Free
- Send Off Summer Right (Part 3): 27 Labor Day Desserts to Save Room For