From $6.55 an hour to $7.25. Many small business owners, including restaurateurs, are worried it will affect their ability to survive the crap economy. Of course, this will help a lot of our friends in the food and beverage industry—if indeed their employers don't claim the tip exemption; those workers' hourly minimum remains frozen at $2.13, same as it has been since 1991.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Trial by Fire: My Life With the Culinary Director of Serious Eats
- Stew Science: Why You Shouldn't Cook Your Beef All Day
- Cookbook Love Letter: Jacques Pépin's Complete Techniques
- The Food Lab: The Best Goulash (Hungarian Beef and Paprika Stew)
- Special-Occasion Breakfast: Challah French Toast With Orange and Rum