From $6.55 an hour to $7.25. Many small business owners, including restaurateurs, are worried it will affect their ability to survive the crap economy. Of course, this will help a lot of our friends in the food and beverage industry—if indeed their employers don't claim the tip exemption; those workers' hourly minimum remains frozen at $2.13, same as it has been since 1991.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- The Food Lab: Sorry, Pulled Pork, It's Cochinita Pibil's Moment
- Beyond Memorial Day Burgers: 13 Recipes for Grilled Steak and More
- The Story of Carolina Gold, the Best Rice You've Never Tasted
- 3 Simple Yucatán-Style Condiments to Spice Up Taco Night
- The Food Lab: Better Channa Masala With a World Tour of Techniques