This past Saturday the 39th Annual World Pea Shooting Championship was held in Witcham, England. Competitors had to hit a target made of putty from 12 yards away. The Telegraph reports on the latest in pea-shooter technology (a laser-guided shooter with gyroscopic balancing) and the characteristics of successful pea-shooting (such as "moisture criteria," the optimum amount of saliva on the pea). The winner, Jim Collins, used a traditional peashooter.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- The Delicious Secret Behind Your Favorite Whiskey: The Best Spirits from MGP
- A Summer Vegetable Lasagna That's Light (but Not Too Light)
- McDonald's Killed Burger King's McWhopper, so We Made it Ourselves
- The Best Peach Cobbler Is Also a Simple Peach Cobbler
- Charcoal Versus Gas Grills: The Definitive Guide