This past Saturday the 39th Annual World Pea Shooting Championship was held in Witcham, England. Competitors had to hit a target made of putty from 12 yards away. The Telegraph reports on the latest in pea-shooter technology (a laser-guided shooter with gyroscopic balancing) and the characteristics of successful pea-shooting (such as "moisture criteria," the optimum amount of saliva on the pea). The winner, Jim Collins, used a traditional peashooter.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- A Guide to Great Tomato Bruschetta, in Season and Out
- What "Selling Out" Allows a Craft Brewery to Do
- Video: Use Cherry Tomatoes for the Fastest Fresh Pasta Sauce Ever
- 35 Great Grilled Main Dishes for a Killer Labor Day Cookout
- Why a Control State Liquor Store Might Be Your Best Bet for Finding Rare and Interesting Spirits