This past Saturday the 39th Annual World Pea Shooting Championship was held in Witcham, England. Competitors had to hit a target made of putty from 12 yards away. The Telegraph reports on the latest in pea-shooter technology (a laser-guided shooter with gyroscopic balancing) and the characteristics of successful pea-shooting (such as "moisture criteria," the optimum amount of saliva on the pea). The winner, Jim Collins, used a traditional peashooter.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Serve Your Valentine Breakfast in Bed With These 20 Brunch Recipes
- Stew Science: Why You Shouldn't Cook Your Beef All Day
- Cookbook Love Letter: Jacques Pépin's Complete Techniques
- The Food Lab: The Best Goulash (Hungarian Beef and Paprika Stew)
- Trial by Fire: My Life With the Culinary Director of Serious Eats