Michael Pollan, author of In Defense of Food, was on The Colbert Report last night. Colbert welcomed him with Sierra Mist soda, which definitely doesn't make Pollan's five-ingredients-or-less rule for virtuous foods. But Pollan politely took a sip and argued that he can still be American while avoiding American cheese (and other synthetic foods). For example, he encourages all parents to go the breast milk route, except we learn, thanks to a Mrs. Pollan in the audience, that he was not breast fed himself! Scandal. The interview, after the jump.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Grilled Oysters Are Better With Butter: How to Make the Best Barbecued Oysters
- What Is American Cheese, Anyway?
- Why a Control State Liquor Store Might Be Your Best Bet for Finding Rare and Interesting Spirits
- Special Sauce: How Roy Choi Plans to Change the World
- Mortar and Pestle + Food Processor = Great Curry Paste, Fast