Jennifer Reese of Slate makes some store-bought staples at home to see if the effort is worth the taste and money. Bagels and yogurt get an enthusiastic "make at home," while homemade cream cheese is expensive and just not the same. She also experiments with jam, crackers, and granola. For more details on cost and taste of the homemade versions, read the rest of the article.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- The Food Lab: The Best Goulash (Hungarian Beef and Paprika Stew)
- Stew Science: Why You Shouldn't Cook Your Beef All Day
- Special Sauce: Pete Wells on Writing, Ketchup, and 2-Star Restaurants
- Special Sauce: Carla Hall on Crank Calls, Hot Chicken, and Unlocking Your Creativity
- 7 Great Uses for a Fine-Mesh Strainer (Besides Straining)