This might be a nice weekend project. If you start today, you could have fresh, homemade bagels for breakfast tomorrow. The blog Salty, Savory, Sweet finds that malted barley flour seems to work well as a substitute for the malt syrup called for in many bagel recipes. If you've ever made your own bagels, you know that even a not-top-notch batch boiled and baked at home is better than most subpar versions you get in stores these days.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Lomo al Trapo: The Colombian Technique That Will Change the Way You Grill Beef
- Chengdu Taste is the Best Sichuan Restaurant in America. Here's What to Order.
- Send Off Summer Right: 28 Grilled Mains for a Labor Day Cookout
- How to Not F#&k Up a Caprese Salad
- The $7,000 Pizza Oven You Don't Need (But Really Wish You Had)