This Vietnamese caramel shrimp recipe from Closet Cooking is the perfect opportunity to try your hand at using caramel in a savory dish. "Simmering or braising in nuoc mau (Vietnamese caramel sauce) is fairly common in Vietnamese cuisine." Kevin, the blog's proprietor, uses a relatively simple recipe to make the caramel and sauté the shrimp. Once you make the caramel, the dish comes together in less than ten minutes. Follow Kevin's example and serve it over coconut jasmine rice so it soaks up all that salty-sweet saucy goodness.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- The Best Peach Cobbler Is Also a Simple Peach Cobbler
- A Summer Vegetable Lasagna That's Light (but Not Too Light)
- McDonald's Killed Burger King's McWhopper, so We Made it Ourselves
- The Delicious Secret Behind Your Favorite Whiskey: The Best Spirits from MGP
- Charcoal Versus Gas Grills: The Definitive Guide