This Vietnamese caramel shrimp recipe from Closet Cooking is the perfect opportunity to try your hand at using caramel in a savory dish. "Simmering or braising in nuoc mau (Vietnamese caramel sauce) is fairly common in Vietnamese cuisine." Kevin, the blog's proprietor, uses a relatively simple recipe to make the caramel and sauté the shrimp. Once you make the caramel, the dish comes together in less than ten minutes. Follow Kevin's example and serve it over coconut jasmine rice so it soaks up all that salty-sweet saucy goodness.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Ideas in Food's Best Japanese-Style Fried Chicken Just Happens to Be Gluten-Free
- Lomo al Trapo: The Colombian Technique That Will Change the Way You Grill Beef
- Send Off Summer Right (Part 2): 25 Delicious Side Dishes for Labor Day
- Chengdu Taste is the Best Sichuan Restaurant in America. Here's What to Order.
- Crimes Against Pizza: An Opinionated Guide to Not Messing Up Your Pie