This Vietnamese caramel shrimp recipe from Closet Cooking is the perfect opportunity to try your hand at using caramel in a savory dish. "Simmering or braising in nuoc mau (Vietnamese caramel sauce) is fairly common in Vietnamese cuisine." Kevin, the blog's proprietor, uses a relatively simple recipe to make the caramel and sauté the shrimp. Once you make the caramel, the dish comes together in less than ten minutes. Follow Kevin's example and serve it over coconut jasmine rice so it soaks up all that salty-sweet saucy goodness.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Lomo al Trapo: The Colombian Technique That Will Change the Way You Grill Beef
- Chengdu Taste is the Best Sichuan Restaurant in America. Here's What to Order.
- Send Off Summer Right: 28 Grilled Mains for a Labor Day Cookout
- How to Not F#&k Up a Caprese Salad
- The $7,000 Pizza Oven You Don't Need (But Really Wish You Had)