This Vietnamese caramel shrimp recipe from Closet Cooking is the perfect opportunity to try your hand at using caramel in a savory dish. "Simmering or braising in nuoc mau (Vietnamese caramel sauce) is fairly common in Vietnamese cuisine." Kevin, the blog's proprietor, uses a relatively simple recipe to make the caramel and sauté the shrimp. Once you make the caramel, the dish comes together in less than ten minutes. Follow Kevin's example and serve it over coconut jasmine rice so it soaks up all that salty-sweet saucy goodness.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Charcoal Versus Gas Grills: The Definitive Guide
- Lomo al Trapo: The Colombian Technique That Will Change the Way You Grill Beef
- Ideas in Food's Best Japanese-Style Fried Chicken Just Happens to Be Gluten-Free
- The Burrito Goes Global With Chicken Vindaloo
- Send Off Summer Right (Part 3): 27 Labor Day Desserts to Save Room For