This Vietnamese caramel shrimp recipe from Closet Cooking is the perfect opportunity to try your hand at using caramel in a savory dish. "Simmering or braising in nuoc mau (Vietnamese caramel sauce) is fairly common in Vietnamese cuisine." Kevin, the blog's proprietor, uses a relatively simple recipe to make the caramel and sauté the shrimp. Once you make the caramel, the dish comes together in less than ten minutes. Follow Kevin's example and serve it over coconut jasmine rice so it soaks up all that salty-sweet saucy goodness.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- The Food Lab: The Best Goulash (Hungarian Beef and Paprika Stew)
- Stew Science: Why You Shouldn't Cook Your Beef All Day
- Eggs en Cocotte: An Easy (But Often Forgotten) Egg Breakfast
- Special Sauce: Pete Wells on Writing, Ketchup, and 2-Star Restaurants
- The Food Lab: Follow the Rules for the Best All-American Beef Stew