According to our handy site-metering utility, the top 10 most delicious items across Serious Eats this week were ...
1. Eat for Eight Bucks: Dumplings Two Ways, with Freestyle Dipping Sauce "Sometimes I'll stick with a more traditional filling of pork and napa cabbage, or I'll do a meatless version with edamame, kale, and cilantro. Either way, I'm well within budget at just under $7." [from Recipes]
2. Animal Style Fries at In-N-Out Burger "To any In-N-Out fan, the 'secret menu' is an open secret. But while just about every other cheeseburger comes out Animal Style, it's less well-known that you can get your fries Animal Style, too. What does that mean? Your tray of fries comes topped with a mass of melty cheese, the same grilled onions, and a heart-stopping ladle of Thousand Island dressing."
3. Ikea Groceries: Some Assembly Required "Since everything else in my kitchen comes from the Scandinavian megastore, it seemed logical to slap some Ikea food on my Ikea plates. So, with the Swedish Chef as my muse, I decided to see what I could assemble from Ikea's grocery offerings."
4. In Videos: Barack Obama Doesn't Know What a Half-Smoke Is
David Gregory: What is a half-smoke? He goes to Ben's Chili Bowl and asks, "What's a half-smoke?" Can you believe that?
Bill Cosby: I'm taking my vote back.
5. Looks Like an East Coast Super Bowl: What Foods Shall We Wager? "Who wants to put their food where their mouth is? I'm willing to cough up a Pittsburgh specialty dish to a Ravens fan if they win next week. No kidding...made from scratch specialty. You other two birds (Eagles and Cardinals) can do the same thing. If we're lucky enough to make it to the Super Bowl, our wager must increase a notch. Who's game?" [from Talk]
6. The Steak Sandwich to End All Steak Sandwiches "This sandwich will be sweet and moist from the onions, savory and chewable thanks to the thoroughly cooked cecina, and as spicy as you dare prepare." [from Recipes]
7. Dinner Tonight: Ricotta Pancakes with Lemon Curd "These aren't your regular dry pancakes. The ricotta makes them twice as tender and soft. But they also get a big boost from the egg whites, which are beaten until stiff and then folded in at the end. They give the pancakes height without weighing them down." [from Recipes]
8. Chewing the Fat: Batali and Bourdain on Sex Food and Sex: Church and State? Batali and Bourdain discuss. What say you, serious eaters? [Possibly NSFW conversation].
9. In Videos: Heart Attack Grill "The Heart Attack Grill, for those who haven't been, is a joint that has its waitresses dress up like hot nurses, its other staff like doctors. It doesn't have customers, it has "patients." You get a hospital-like wristband with your order, indicating what size burger you've opted for—Single Bypass (single patty) up to the towering Quadruple Bypass (quad). They have an all-you-can-eat fry bar instead of a salad bar. (And, oh, those spuds are fried in lard.)" [from A Hamburger Today]
10. Help Me Perfect My Stovetop Espresso Maker Coffee "I recently bought a stovetop espresso maker. I read the instructions on the box and also searched online for tips. Instructions and online tips say to heat it on low heat. It takes at least 20 minutes to make the coffee this way, which I didn't realize when I bought it." [from Talk]