According to our handy site-metering utility, the top 10 most delicious items on Serious Eats this week were ...
2. Grilling: North Carolina Vinegar Barbecue Sauce Heated discussion on the authenticity of our grilling contributor Joshua Bousel's North Carolina barbecue sauce recipe. It's gettin' hot in here. [from Recipes]
3. Why Don't Professional Chefs Use a Garlic Press? "I have a garlic press that I love. I use it daily, whenever I need to add garlic to any of my recipes. It is quick and simple and easy to clean. I have noticed on Food shows on television, that almost all of the professional chefs, slice their garlic or hand chop it. It seems a waste of time to me. Can anyone out there enlighten me?" [from Talk]
4. President-Elect Barack Obama in 1,240 Cupcakes There are a lot of Barack Obama–themed baked goods out there, but a picture of Obama made from 1,240 cupcakes is a whole other level of Obama food art. Zilly Rosen of Zillycakes in Buffalo, New York, made this cupcake mosaic.
5. Sweet Potato Fries: Who Likes These Things? I get all Andy Rooney and talk trash on sweet potato fries. Who's with me? Who's against?
6. In Colorado State Senate Election, Bacon Trounces Fries Bob Bacon (D) won the Colorado State Senate District 14 race against Matt Fries (R). See also: Would You Rather Give Up Bacon or French Fries, in SE Talk.
7. Mixed Review: Classic Crème Brûlée for 45¢, No Blowtorch Required "But just because we're tightening our belts figuratively doesn't mean we must tighten them literally. I wanted to see if it was possible to prepare a silky, creamy, totally indulgent French dessert for next-to-nothing. What did I choose when I hit my local supermarket, jar of pennies in tow? Dr. Oetker's Classic Crème Brûlée Premium Dessert Mix. At $1.79 it serves four, which breaks down to a mere 45 cents a person. It doesn't get much cheaper that that."
8. Celebrity Chef Holidays: Mario Batali
What's your favorite part of the Thanksgiving meal and why, Mario? "I love the stuffing and the gravy, they represent the most personal components of the meal. I don't think I'm alone in this regard. Doesn't everyone love stuffing and gravy?"
9. Pumpkin Spice Marshmallows "Marshmallows are one of my favorite things to make. Though I've made them literally hundreds of times, the act of transforming little more than sugar and gelatin into fluffy, springy cubes of goodness never ceases to be deeply satisfying." [from Recipes]
10. This Thanksgiving I Am Going to Try Something New and It Is ... "I am going to attempt Martha Stewart's Parker House rolls this year. DH and I host my in-laws every year (and any orphans that we pick up from our offices). DH's grandmother used to make these stupendous yeast rolls for all festive occasions and I know that they are sorely missed, so I have decided to try the Parker House rolls. It is my first excursion into yeast, so I plan to try the recipe out once in advance . . . Wish me luck!" [from Talk]