According to the Boston Globe, recent brain scans and genetic testing suggest that some people overeat because they don't get as much pleasure out of food (which is linked to the hormone ghrelin) so they keep eating in an attempt to feel satisfied.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Ideas in Food's Best Japanese-Style Fried Chicken Just Happens to Be Gluten-Free
- Lomo al Trapo: The Colombian Technique That Will Change the Way You Grill Beef
- Send Off Summer Right (Part 2): 25 Delicious Side Dishes for Labor Day
- Why Jianbing is China's Most Popular Street Breakfast
- Hey Chef, What Can I Do With Black Garlic?