According to our handy site-metering utility, the top 10 most delicious items on Serious Eats this week were ...
1. Does Your Grocery Store Have You Crying Tears of Joy? Do you have a local grocery store that you've sworn undying loyalty to?
2. In Defense of Breakfast: A Morning Manifesto "Artists might say that the eyes are the windows to the soul. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that, for a food writer, breakfast just might be the same. So what's your stance on breakfast? Can't stomach it, or can't live without it?"
3. Dinner Tonight: Scalloped Potatoes "Though I'm not a scalloped potatoes veteran, I have nothing bad to say about these. Too often scalloped potatoes come out greasy and bland. Here, the cheese is minimal, and the broth, herbs, and onions made this an immensely flavorful meal. Though I'm sure it wasn't the healthiest thing I've eaten in a while, it was so fun to revisit the childhood classic—and discover it could still surprise me."
4. Served: A Colorful Cast of Customers "There are some “types” of people who I have come to expect in the restaurant. I’m not eager to typecast, but it’s amazing how people so often behave, at least during our brief interactions, in some very predictable ways. Here, an incomplete cast of characters."
5. 'Top Chef' Season 5, Episode 1 Recap "All right, Top Chef junkies. Listen up. Your jonesin' days are over for the time being. Tom, Padma, Gail, and the rest of the resident and guest experts have been joined by 17 aspiring top toques in New York City. Based on tonight's first episode, it's going to be a doozy of a season. My favorite introductory quote came from Daniel, a twenty-something chef from Babylon, New York: 'I was so unnoticed for the longest time.'"